Keep in Touch!

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Beautiful Blogger Widgets

.

Fat Fab Fit

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Short-term Housing in San Diego


So I recently relocated from NYC to San Diego for various reasons, but before I moved I spent a number of hours researching short-term housing options in San Diego.  

Short-term housing is good if you are a student, or a professional on a business trip, or someone in transition from relocating.  I also think short-term housing can often times be more economical than hostels and/or traditional hotels.  Being that I was in the process of moving I did not feel comfortable signing a lease to an apartment that I was not able to physically view.  I was primarily dealing with people by phone or internet and was just paranoid of getting ripped off.  There are so many housing scams out there that you just don’t know who to trust.

In any case, I came across a couple of options: airbnb and Old Town Place.  With airbnb you can rent rooms and private homes directly from the owners, and the site also offers reviews on the location and host.  You can view pictures and descriptions; overall you feel comfortable reserving housing there.  I found some great options but you have to pay your entire stay up-front plus a fee for the service; I just found it to be a little pricey.  I came across Old Town Place (as well as Newport Place – a “sister site” where I’ll be staying at next - review coming soon!) which is promoted as short-term student housing, mainly for international students, but anyone can stay here as long as you stay the minimum of one month.  The staff is extremely helpful and courteous (I dealt directly with Kristy Ward who is the Business Manager), and the great thing is you can pay only a deposit to hold your room (and/or studio) and then pay your month’s rent upon arrival.  I thought this was a great option because you can pay your rent once you are physically there and are able to see the place.  All rooms and studios are fully furnished; the rent includes your typical utilities (such as electricity, water, etc…) as well as Wi-Fi, and cable.  They also have laundry facilities and a cleaning service for the common areas (such as the living room and kitchen). 

The pictures on the website don’t do this place justice!  I am staying in room 2B which is part of a 2 bedroom apartment.  This bedroom has a private entrance, as well as a door leading into the kitchen and bathroom area (two doors total in the room).  Both doors have locks and upon arrival you receive a set of keys for the front door and laundry room, as well as for your mailbox.  The room has a desk, mirror, wastepaper basket, television, night stand, lamps, alarm clock, and closet.  They also include fresh towels and linens.  The kitchen is fully equipped with a refrigerator, stove, table, utensils, pots, cups, and all kinds of appliances (such as a microwave, blender and coffee maker).  They also include cleaning supplies, an ironing board and iron, and plenty of shelf space.  Finally, the bathroom has a sink, toilet and shower, and is a decent size for two people to share. 




















By the way, the outside is gorgeous!  They have a little patio area, which in front of my door is a table and chairs for those lovely sunny days.  And I have yet to explore the rest of the complex and area, but I’m sure it’s all beautiful. 

If you plan on staying in San Diego for a month or longer, I think this place would be your best bet.  I think you will find it to be the most economical and also the most convenient.  If you’re concerned about the privacy and/or noise level, you have nothing to worry about.  Everyone is respectful; you barely hear any outside noise.  Also all your doors can be locked and only accessed by you.  If you don’t drive the Trolley and Bus station is only a few blocks away (which by the way I highly suggest walking around Old Town, it’s definitely eye-gasmic!). 





















I felt inspired to write about this place because I did not find much information in my initial online search for short-term housing in San Diego, so hopefully this review serves as a guide for you.  


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Kat! I was not aware of these options and will look into it if we are ever in San Diego again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful. I will definitely look into this. I'll be in San Diego on business soon

    ReplyDelete