Keep in Touch!

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Beautiful Blogger Widgets

.

Fat Fab Fit

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Discount Beauty Queen

I had a flash of inspiration to write this post, as I was in the shower.  I felt I had to share some things I've learned this year about saving money on beauty and personal hygiene products.

So today I went shopping for some items I needed.  One of the things I needed was a shower gel (body wash).  A lot of women use three main products in the shower; a body wash (or soap), a shaving cream, and a "feminine hygiene wash".  My personal stance on beauty and personal care items is to purchase items which can multitask; one item to use for multiple purposes.  So let's say the three items mentioned cost you $5 each.  You'd be spending $15 for three items when you can use one for all three.  My secret?  Baby Wash.



A baby wash is an ultra gentle cleanser for babies.  But why should babies have all the good stuff?  My skin is sensitive and should be treated with TLC.  And as for your hoo-haa, duh that's something you need to treat with special care.  You gotta treat her like the queen she is.  In case you didn't know, you shouldn't be using regular soap down there.  Baby Wash is perfect because it has the keywords to look for: soap-free, gentle, sensitive, pH-balanced.  If you check the label of a Summer's Eve feminine wash, those are the same words used on the bottle.  Baby wash/baby soap is just as gentle AND yes it does lather so you can use it to shave too.  I just got two of the Rite-Aid brand because it was two for only $5!  So instead of spending $15 on three different items, I saved $10 AND got two items!  SCORE!



Next up, lotion.  I have sensitive skin so I don't like using creams and lotions with heavy fragrances (I get fragrance free).  If you really like perfumed creams and lotions you can add fragrance to them yourself and save money.  Just buy a fragrance-free lotion and add some scented oil to it, in whatever scent you like.  Now in terms of multitasking...the reason I buy fragrance free lotions and creams specifically for sensitive skin is because you can use them on both your body AND face.  Sure you can spend money on special serums, night creams, yada yada.  But I find that the less junk is on my face the less likely it'll react negatively on me.  Again I have sensitive skin so I like using products which are gentle and don't have a lot of extras in them.  But even if you don't have sensitive skin, if you just want to moisturize your face, why spend money on an extra bottle just for your face? One bottle can go for both. Or even if you just want one separate lotion for your face, you still save money with this method because if you haven't noticed those face creams come in teeny tiny bottles which don't last at all.  Let's do the math.  A bottle of a generic brand, fragrance-free lotion is about $5 and can last you about 3 months, whereas a tiny bottle of face lotion will be about $10 and last one month.



Finally, hair.  I spend more money on my hair than anything else.  I don't splurge on an item that's not staying in my hair.  Shampoos and Conditioners and meant to be washed out, so why spend $10 on a bottle?  It doesn't matter what kind of miracle it promises to do to your hair, it's gonna be WASHED OUT!  It's like throwing money down the drain. I can understand if you want to spend a little more on conditioners, but if your hair needs moisture better to invest in a leave-in conditioner which will go a longer way than a regular conditioner to wash out.

I'm sure there are a million plus ways to save money on your beauty routine, just do a little research before you go shopping next time.

What kind of beauty secrets do you have to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment